Well, London 2012 is over and we want to say a heartfelt thank you to everyone who’s played a part in the Games in our region and to the thousands of you who came along to the WE PLAY Expo in Preston to celebrate with us this weekend.
We’re so proud of everything we’ve achieved together for the North West. This was truly a once in a lifetime opportunity and together we’ve proved that London 2012 wasn’t just about London. And perhaps even more importantly, we've put in place plans to make sure the Games have a legacy way beyond 2012.
Here are just a few of things we're really proud of:
- A third of TeamGB’s medals in the Olympic Games were won by athletes who are either from, or train in, our region.
- We had 336 Inspire mark projects – more than anywhere else in the UK except London. It’s estimated that more than 600,000 people have taken part in the 197 sporting Inspire projects.
- Over 1.8m people engaged in the Cultural Olympiad in the North West (and growing! – there are events and exhibitions still happening such as Moments that Matter in Preston, celebrating people's contribution to London 2012 in our region).
- Over 1.27m people lined the streets to see 895 Torchbearers carry the Torch across 90 North West communities.
- Over 370,000 spectators watched Olympic Football at Old Trafford with thousands of young people and sports fans benefitting from the Ticketshare.
- 600 Ambassadors supported the delivery of Olympic Football and hundreds more Games Makers really have made the London 2012 experience extra special for everyone involved.
- Over 3,000 North West schools (85% - the second highest number of schools in the UK) took part in the Get Set education programme.
- 22 Nations and over 700 athletes got ready for London 2012 in the North West.
- 600+ Games related contracts were won by businesses in our region, worth at least £211.8m.
We think this shows that this really has been everyone’s Games, but we want you to tell us your stories and share your photos online through the WE PLAY Challenge. And if you came to the WE PLAY Expo at the weekend, do us a favour and take a couple of minutes to fill in our online survey to tell us what you thought - we'd really appreicate it.